25.5.08
God is not good
One thing I have begun to sense recently (though I'm sure it's always been a problem) is that people seem to want to define God by our own values, rather than define our values by God. The two greatest examples of this are "God is good" and "God is love". These statements are only true if one takes them to mean that God defines goodness and love. However, in the increasingly secularized and theologically weak evangelical church (and unfortunately I must include a great many mennonite churches in this), people have begun to attempt to understand and even define our religion and our God by or from within our culture. So, in this environment it is said God is good, and what people mean is that God meets our definition of good. And then it's said God is love, and what is meant is that anything that meets our definition of love must be of God.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment